Lake Identified as Body of Water Where 7-Year-Old was Infected with Brain-Eating Amoeba
A 7-year-old Tehama County boy tragically died following the contraction of a rare brain-eating amoeba in a Northern California lake. Now, the location of the lake has been revealed.
According to sources, David Pruitt contracted the rare infection in Lake California, which is located in a private community between Redding and Red Bluff.
The boy was flown to UC Davis Medical Center with primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, or PAM, on July 30. He died from the infection on August 7. A GoFundMe has been created for the Pruitt family to help with costs accrued during their difficult time.
According to the Tehama County Health Services Agency, only 10 cases of PAM have been reported in California since 1971.
The most common deaths of PAM come from infections of the naegleria fowleri amoeba in fresh bodies of water like lakes or rivers. The infections typically occur through the nose while swimming or diving. Symptoms of PAM include severe headache, fever and nausea, progressing to stage two symptoms like seizures, hallucinations and coma. The symptoms typically take place so quickly that itâ€™s typically not diagnosed until after death.
While this sort of disease can be cause for concern among NorCal locals, thereâ€™s not a whole lot we can do to prevent infections.
â€œThe extremely low occurrence of PAM makes epidemiologic study difficult,â€ states the CDC. â€œIt is unknown why certain persons become infected with the amebae while millions of others exposed to warm recreational fresh waters, including those who were swimming with people who became infected, do not. No method currently exists that accurately and reproducibly measures the numbers of amebae in the water. â€œThis makes it unclear how a standard might be set to protect human health and how public health officials would measure and enforce such a standard.â€
Thank you for including their GoFundMe page #helpthepruittfamily reading most of the other articles they hadn’t and in such a tragic time the family could really use some help.