More Than 1,600 Campgrounds Set to Open in California State Parks
California State Parks is preparing for another massive wave of reopenings this week, as 1,667 campgrounds will once again be available to the public starting Friday, June 12th, more than 3 months following Covid-19 closures. The openings account for a little more than 10 percent of the campgrounds in California State Parks, although most of them sit in Southern California.
The campground reopenings in 27 state parks is a victory for outdoor enthusiasts in the state, but only 8 of those parks sit in Northern California. Popular campgrounds at the Folsom Lake State Recreation Area, D.L. Bliss State Park, Donner Memorial State Park and Half Moon Bay State Beach are among those that will open.
â€œWeâ€™re pleased that state parks will begin to provide additional recreational opportunities to the public,â€ said Gloria Sandoval, deputy director of the California Department of Parks and Recreation. â€œThis is just the beginning.â€
All of the campgrounds will see openings based on social distancing guidelines. Visitors centers and other amenities may be closed, but restrooms and showers will be open.
People can once again reserve campsites at www.reservecalifornia.com and they are currently accepting reservations for half the campsites at each park. Any existing reservations before June 21 have been cancelled and will need to be rebooked. Anyone with reservations after June 21 may see their reservations cancelled if the campgrounds do not open in the coming weeks. If your reservation is cancelled, you will be contacted by California State Park officials.
There are currently 259 of 280 California State Parks open to the public, with 21 remaining closed. Find a full list of parks open here.
Here is a full list of California State Parks which will open their campsites on June 12:
- Bolsa Chica State Beach (Orange County)
- Chino Hills State Park (San Bernardino County)
- Colusa-Sacramento River State Recreation Area (Colusa County)
- Crystal Cove State Park Moro Campground (Orange County)
- Cuyamaca Rancho State Park (San Diego County)
- Big Basin Redwoods State Park (Little Basin Campgrounds) (Santa Cruz County)
- D.L. Bliss State Park (Lake Tahoe area)
- Doheny State Beach (Orange County)
- Donner Memorial State Park (Lake Tahoe area)
- El Capitan State Beach (Santa Barbara County)
- Folsom Lake State Recreation Area (Placer County)
- Grover Hot Springs State Park (Alpine County)
- Half Moon Bay State Beach (San Mateo County)
- Lake Perris State Recreation Area (Riverside County)
- Leo Carrillo State Park (Los Angeles County)
- Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park (Nevada County)
- Mount San Jacinto State Park (Riverside County)
- Point Mugu State Park (Ventura County)
- Refugio State Beach (Santa Barbara County)
- Salton Sea State Recreation Area (Riverside County)
- San Clemente State Beach (Orange County)
- San Elijo State Beach (San Diego County)
- San Onofre State Beach (San Diego County)
- Silver Strand State Beach (San Diego County)
- Silverwood Lake State Recreation Area (San Bernardino County)
- South Carlsbad State Beach (San Diego County)
- Sugar Pine Point State Park (Lake Tahoe area)