The Fawn Fire continues to burn in the neighborhoods of north Redding, with new mandatory evacuations announced for all homes east of Interstate 5 between Old Oregon Trail and Shasta Lake. The fire has already destroyed 25 homes and firefighters are battling to save as many as they can from the flames.
With the growing threat of more structure loss and thousands evacuated from the region, the National Interagency Fire Center announced that the Fawn Fire is now the highest priority fire in the country:
#NationalFireNews: The #FawnFire is now the highest priority fire in the country. The fire exhibited extreme fire behavior yesterday and continues to threaten structures and communities near Redding, CA. #FireYear2021â€” National Interagency Fire Center (@NIFC_Fire) September 24, 2021
More information: https://t.co/x2g8WEUI2p
As of Friday afternoon, the fire has burned through 5,850 acres with 10 percent containment. On Wednesday, 30-year-old Alexandra Souverneva of Palo Alto was arrested near the fire line and charged with arson for starting the fire near Shasta Lake. According to witnesses,Â Souverneva was â€œacting irrationallyâ€ and needed assistance from firefighters to treat dehydration. Itâ€™s unknown if there was any motive.
Here are the updated evacuations as of 12 pm Friday:
- All roads east of Interstate 5, north of Old Oregon Trail all the way north to Shasta Lake
- All of Holiday Road south of Old Oregon Trailâ€‹
- Tierra Oaks and the surrounding areaÂ
- All roads east of Dry Creek along Elk Trail east, north to Shasta Lake, and back down Dry Creek.Â
- All roads off of Old Oregon Trail in both directions between Bear Mountain north to Interstate 5
- All roads off of Bear Mountain in both directions between Dry Creek and Old Oregon Trail
- All roads on the west side of Interstate 5, west to the railroad tracks and on the north side of Shasta Dam Boulevard north to Old Oregon trail.Â
- All roads west of Interstate 5 to Ashby between Pine Grove and Shasta Dam.
- All roads west of Interstate 5 to the railroad tracks, south of Bass Dr to Old Oregon Trail.
- First Church of the Nazarene.
- 2225 Bechelli Lane, Redding, CAÂ